From The Desk Of The Parker Library Director: Summer Reading For All!
Jun 13, 2018 06:32AM
● By Theresa Gilman
Dracut Public Library
Are you ready for Summer Reading? Here at the Parker, we're getting ready to keep you busy with Summer Reading programs aimed specifically at Children, Teens, and Adults.
The theme this summer is "Libraries Rock!" From June 25th through August 3rd, adults should make sure to stop by weekly and tell us the title and author of each book they've read, for an entry into our Summer Reading prize drawing. You can enter your information online or in person.Prizes include:
- $25.00 Gift Card to Blue Angus
- $25.00 Gift Certificate to Market Basket
- $25.00 Gift Certificate to Mama's Italian Restaurant
- $25.00 Gift Certificate to Brother's Sports Bar & Grill
- $25.00 Gift Card to M.L. Shaws
- $25.00 Gift Card to Hannaford's
Adults will also be able to get into the spirit of things with our Libraries Rock Film Festival. Join us as we view films that will get you singing and dancing! All viewings start at 6:00 PM at the Library.
- Rock Star - Monday, July 2nd
- Walk the Line - Wednesday, July 18th
- La Bamba - Monday, July 23rd
- Coal Miner's Daughter - Monday, July 30th
- Jersey Boys - Monday, August 6th
Come in any time starting June 25th to pick up your Adult Summer Reading brochure, which contains movie synopsis and ratings, as well as a list of suggested reading that fits the theme!
Teens in Grades 6 - 12 will be encouraged to "reach for the stars" from June 26th through August 17th. For every two books that they read, they will earn a gold star. The more gold stars they earn, the more chances they will have to win fabulous prizes, including:
- Dunkin' Donuts Gift Cards
- Ice Cream Gift Cards
- Movie Tickets
- Amazon Gift Cards
and the Teen Summer Reading Grand Prize....a Kindle!
A variety of programs designed just for teens are also being offered this summer, including:
- DIY Kinetic Sand - June 29th from 2:30 to 3:30
Come make Kinetic Sand!
- Cupcakes (and Cookies) by the Ocean - July 11th from 1:00 to 2:00. Be the pastry decorator that you've always wanted to be!
- Origami Cranes... and How to Build Them-July 20th from 1:30 to 2:30. Learn how to make flowers, frogs, and the famous crane.
- Chinese Calligraphy - July 25th from 3:00 to 4:00.Come learn some Chinese characters and how to write them with ink and brush!
- Afternoon Tea and Sachets - August 2nd from 1:00 to 2:00. Put together your own tea bags and sachets using dried herbs.
- Trivia Night - August 15th from 6:00 to 7:00. Form teams with your friends to win prizes and bragging rights!
- Bending with Books - Date TBD. Join us for a yoga session in the library (no experience needed!)
- Party Like a Rock Star - August 22nd from 6:00 - 7:00. The piece de resistance to the teen summer reading program. Come together for food, games, and the announcement of the winners of the summer reading challenge!
But wait... there's more!
From June 26th to August 17th, teens can submit their original artwork of their favorite book, manga, or show. The top three will be decided by popular vote and will be displayed on the library's website! Make sure to visit our Teen Librarian, Meaghan Chapman. She's excited to meet you!
Read to Bead in the Children's Room!
As always, Miss Penny has planned a super-duper program for the Children's Room. This summer children ages through entering Grade 5, can earn a bead for each 15 minutes a day that they read (up to 1 hour).
After reading for a total of 2 hours, they also will get a "Brag Tag" to hang on their chain.
The more they read, the more beads they can earn!
As the children get more beads, they can start trading them in at the library for special beads, which allow them to make their own necklace that is different from everyone else's!
- Trade 2 regular beads for 1 glitter bead
- Trade 2 glitter beads for 1 metallic bead
- Trade 2 metallic beads for 1 glow in the dark bead
- Trade 2 glow in the dark beads for 1 letter or shape bead
Are your children too little for beads? Not to worry, stickers will be given out instead!
Miss Penny also has a plethora of special programs planned for the kiddos this summer. Watch for an announcement about when you can start registering for the Children's Summer Reading program, and pick up a program calendar.
As always, I am available to meet and talk with you. This is your library and we want to hear what you think!
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Dracuttoday/ Follow us on Twitter at @Dracut_Today