From The Desk Of The Parker Library Director: FY2017 At A Glance
Mar 15, 2018 04:20PM
● Published by Theresa Gilman
Dracut Public Library
Parker Library Director, Nanci Hill
There are many tasks that befall Library Directors. Many of them include gathering, compiling, and analyzing various statistics; looking at output measures in order to take stock of how our libraries are doing on various fronts. One such way that we do that is by completing the annual PLDS (Public Library Data Service Survey). The PLDS captures valuable data on staffing, operating finances, output measures, inter-library loaning, and technology provisions, from public libraries throughout the U.S. and Canada. In addition, each year's survey contains a special survey highlighting statistics on one service area or public library topic. PLDS statistics are compiled and collated by the Public Library Association. The reports that they put out are used by public libraries to compare themselves, statistically, to other libraries in similar communities across the country and Canada.
I recently finished filling out the annual PLDS survey. While the reports have not yet come out, I wanted to share some interesting statistics with you about the Parker Library.
In FY2017 (July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017):
- 14,413 Dracut residents held library cards. That's 49.57% of the population.
- We circulated 165,817 physical items.
- We circulated 15,418 electronic items.
- We circulated 60.55 items per hour.
- We circulated 178.33 items per $1,000 expenditure.
- We answered 21,968 reference questions.
- The Library held 410 programs, which 6,179 people attended.
- We provided 23,980 items to residents of other communities, and received 24,394 items from other Massachusetts libraries.
- The Library averages 2,388.98 visits per week.
- Our materials expenditures per capita is $3.36
It will be interesting to see how we stack up against like-sized and type libraries in other areas of the country. Keep your eye out for those statistics in future columns.
As always, I am available to meet and talk with you. This is your library and we want to hear what you think!
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Dracuttoday/
Follow us on Twitter at @Dracut_Today
From the Desk of the Director