Skip to main content

Your Dracut Today

Thawing Frozen Pipes? DON'T USE AN OPEN FLAME!

Jan 02, 2018 05:27PM ● By Bill Gilman
Atty. Paul King

 According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, there have been several fires recently caused by people trying to thaw frozen pipes in their homes.
According to the MDFC, NEVER use an open flame to thaw pipes. Rather, they offer the following advice:

To Thaw Frozen Pipes

  • If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, suspect a frozen pipe. Locate the area of the water pipe that might be frozen. Likely places include pipes running against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
  • Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen area begins to melt, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt more ice in the pipe.
  • Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, or wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame devices. A blowtorch can make water in a frozen pipe boil and cause the pipe to explode. All open flames in homes present a serious fire danger, as well as a severe risk of exposure to lethal carbon monoxide.
  • Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you cannot thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
  • Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too.
  • Be careful using space heaters to warm up areas near pipes. Don't overload circuits. Try not to use extension cords but if you must, make sure they are rated for the appliance. Heat producing appliances need stronger extension cords than lamps.
  • Remember not to leave the door of a gas oven open; it will produce large amounts of carbon monoxide.
  • Be sure there are working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the home.
Al Fresca

 

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Dracuttoday/ Follow us on Twitter at @Dracut_Today