Parker Library Seeking P/T Library Assistant
Jul 04, 2017 10:33AM ● Published by Theresa Gilman
Dracut Public Library
M.G. Parker Memorial Library - Dracut
Part Time Library Assistant
Children’s and Young Adult Services
This is a part-time position requiring a background in children’s and young adult services, knowledge of print and non-print materials for this age group, and the ability to interact with same.
This is an 18-hour per week position, with some hours spent in our busy Children’s room and some hours spent in YA/Reference. This is a non-benefited position, paying $14.19 per hour. Hours include some evenings and Saturdays.
- Interact with the Junior and Senior high schools during school hours to promote the library and its services.
- Perform and supervise daily activities and operations of the Library including but not limited to those directly relating to these two areas.
- Under the direction of the Children’s and YA Librarians, create displays, offer reading incentives, special programs and activities.
- Perform reference work under the direction of the Reference Supervisor. Assist users with computers, including help reserving the computers and using our print system.
- Become familiarized with popular authors and titles in both the children’s and teen collection. Be able to answer readers’ advisory questions when asked.
- Be able to use our Museum Pass software system in order to fill patron requests.
- Be able to use our ILS system to check materials in and out, place holds and take payments.
- Be able to use the patron OPAC and to teach patrons to do the same.
- Bachelor of Arts or other secondary education needed.
- Some experience working with children and teens in either a library or school environment.
- Ability to operate and view a computer screen.
- Depth, color, peripheral and distance vision routinely required.
- Regular lifting of up to 20 pounds.
- Manual use of telephone, copying and facsimile machines, calculator and other computer hardware.
- Ability to hear, talk, walk, sit, bend, reach, grasp with occasional need to climb, balance, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Often required to push or pull book trucks weighing up to 150 pounds. May be required to stand or sit for consecutive hours at a time.
The duties listed above are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The Library Director on an as-needed basis may assign duties other than those listed.
The Town of Dracut is a smoke and drug free environment.
In accordance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Town will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in the Town’s services, program, or activities.
Please submit a cover letter, as well as an online application and resume, to:
Human Resources Department
62 Arlington Street
Dracut, MA 01826
Email: [email protected]