Super Bowl Bound? AAA Offers Money-Saving Travel Tips
(Editor's Note: the following information was submitted by AAA Northeast.)
Just because you’re rooting for your favorite football team, that doesn’t make you a fan of the high price tag often associated with travel to the Super Bowl. Here’s the advice of AAA Northeast travel experts when it comes to booking travel and lodging for the Big Game.
- Non-Direct Flights: Many non-stop flights from Boston to Houston, typically priced at about $250, are now running $1,500-plus. Save several hundred dollars by considering a layover flight, rather than a direct route. Or stop at a fun destination like Charlotte, NC, en route: enjoying a stopover enhances your trip, and could still be cheaper than flying direct.
- Time Your Travel: Arriving in the Houston area a few days early, or staying a few days later, could reduce the cost of your flight.
- Alternative Airports: Flying into Dallas, for example, could save you money. But be sure to build in the cost of transportation to Houston, which will likely include a car rental or another type of alternative transportation.
- Hotel Rooms: AAA can help find the best price on hotel rooms, and AAA membership can provide significant savings on hotel rooms. Be sure to request a AAA discount when you book. Look for hotels that may be offering Super Bowl specials and packages offering discounts or extra perks.
- Book Hotels outside Houston: Hotel rooms located outside the city or a greater distance away typically offer lower and more competitive pricing. Again, calculate the cost of transportation to Houston from the hotel to determine if the hotel savings is worth it. Ask if the hotel offers transportation to Houston, or a Super Bowl shuttle. Always book the hotel from a reliable vendor.
- Beware of Super Bowl Ticket Scams: Always buy tickets from a reliable and reputable source.
AAA Northeast is a not-for-profit auto club with 61 offices in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, New Hampshire and New York, providing more than 5.2 million local AAA members with travel, insurance, finance, and auto-related services.
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Dracuttoday/ Follow us on Twitter at @Dracut_Today